Diamond & Diamond Lawyers LLP is filing a class action lawsuit against Natural Health Services Ltd. and parent company Sunniva Inc., as a result of a data breach of sensitive, personal and confidential patient information.
Natural Health Service acts as a conduit between physicians and patients seeking medical cannabis for treating various ailments. The organization’s parent company, Sunniva, operates various cannabis subsidiaries in both the United Statesand Canada.
The data breach, which according to the defendant occurred “between December 4, 2018 and January 7, 2019“, was only notified to affected Plaintiffs within the last calendar week.
“What is more integral than the preservation of our health information?” said Jeremy Diamond, Manager Partner at Diamond and Diamond Lawyers. “All individuals that filled out these online forms could be affected by this egregious breach.”
– August 2021: We write to provide you with a further update to our June 9th update. As mentioned in our last update, we are currently exploring whether there is any possibility of a settlement. We will provide a further update once we have received a response from opposing counsel, who has indicated she will be in touch with her client in the next few weeks.
– Oct. 2021: Further to our update provided in August, please be advised that we have recently been informed that NHS has filed for bankruptcy. As you may be aware, Sunniva had previously filed for bankruptcy. Unfortunately, this means there is no longer any avenue forward for our class action. This is obviously not the outcome we were hoping for. We will keep you updated on how we are wrapping up this file.
– Nov. 2021: We write to provide you with a further update to our August update. As mentioned in our last update, we were exploring whether there was any possibility of a settlement. We have now been advised that both Natural Health Services Ltd. and Sunniva Inc. have filed for bankruptcy. As a result, we are left with no possible recourse against either company as lawsuits fall to the very bottom of a long list of creditors. Unfortunately, this means that our class action has come to an end although we wish the result would have been a different one
The defendant acknowledges the following patient information was disclosed within the breach:
– Diagnostic results
– Health care numbers
– Medical information including diagnostic results, medical conditions, allergies, encounter notes with clinics and doctors, referrals, forms and completed questionnaires
– Specific identifying information connected to the above, including name, age, gender, address, phone number
The Representative Plaintiff for the class, Adele Worley-Burns, stated, “I was informed by my lawyer that this kind of a breach could possibly impact my insurance rates, ability to travel, and subject me to possible fraud. I feel violated on a variety of levels.”
Diamond and Diamond Lawyers LLP believes that thousands of people may have been impacted by this breach and are potentially entitled to seek compensation. Any individual who has provided any personal information to Natural Health Services is encouraged to contact the firm immediately by calling 1-800-567-HURT (4878) or using the contact form above.
Call NOW for a free consultation
255 Consumers Road, 5th Floor, Toronto, Ontario
4246 97 Street NW, Unit 103, Edmonton, Alberta
1727 West Broadway, Suite 400, Vancouver, British Columbia
168 Bayfield Street
2713 14 St SW
600 Crowfoot Crescent NW #240
1331 Macleod Trail SE, Suite 645
4246 97 Street NW, Unit 103
256 Pall Mall St, Suite 102
2939 Portland Drive, Suite 200
50 Richmond Street E, Unit # 108 B
955 Green Valley Crescent, Unit 315
31 Larch Street, Unit 300
1104 – 13737 96 Ave, Surrey, BC V3V 0C6
255 Consumers Road, 5th Floor
1678 Bloor Street, Suite 302
1727 West Broadway, Suite 400
13158 Tecumseh Rd. E. Unit 3B