ODSP Lawyers in Toronto | Free Consultation
Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) is a social assistance program funded by the government to qualifying residents in the province of Ontario who are above the age of 18 and have a disability. Defined as the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) act, the law has outlined specific requirements to qualify as an ODSP beneficiary. The beneficiaries of ODSP are eligible to get prescription drugs, vision care and career and employment guidance.
Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) Benefits
Benefits falling under the ODSP program are paid monthly to the eligible person above the age of 18. These benefits of ODSP can be divided into two main parts. The first one is Income Support Benefits and the second one is Employment Support Benefits.
ODSP Income Support
ODSP income support is monthly financial support to take care of the basic needs. Income support includes:
- Health-related benefits
- Disability-related benefits
- Transition child benefits
- Job coaching
- Help to find and keep a job
- Job training
- Assistance with transportation
- Tools and equipment needed for a particular job
- Helping a person advance in a career
- be at least 18 years old
- be an Ontario resident
- be in financial need and
- meet the program’s definition of a person with a disability, or be a member of a Prescribed Class
- your household’s housing and shelter-related costs
- any money coming into your household, as well as the value of assets belonging to members of the household
- you have a substantial mental or physical impairment that is continuous or recurrent and is expected to last one year or more and
- your impairment directly results in a substantial restriction in your ability to work, care for yourself, or take part in community life and
- your impairment, its duration and restrictions have been verified by an approved healthcare professional
ODSP Employment Supports
ODSP beneficiaries are also entitled to support for finding and keeping a job so that they can advance their careers. ODSP employment support includes the following:
Ontario Disability Support Program Eligibility
To be able to qualify for the ODSP benefits, you must fulfil a set of requirements. You must:
ODSP Financial Need Eligibility
You are deemed eligible for financial need if the costs of your household’s basic living expenses are more than your household’s income and assets. To prove your financial need eligibility, you must submit specific documents to your ODSP caseworker. These documents include:
You will also need to give your signed consent to disclose and verify your personal information so that the caseworker can gather information to verify your eligibility. The caseworker will decide whether you’re eligible for financial support or not. However, you can check your eligibility for ODSP income support using this tool.
According to the ODSP Act, you are considered to be a person with a disability if,
The caseworker will give you the Disability Determination package that needs to be filled out by your health care provider(s).
How to Apply for the Ontario Disability Support Program
There are two ways through which you can apply for ODSP, either online or by phone or in person. If you wish to start it online, you should visit this website. If you want to apply by phone or in person, you must visit your local ODSP office.
Consult Our ODSP Lawyers in Toronto for FREE!
We at Diamond & Diamond have helped many clients get their ODSP benefits and henceforth, we know how much valuable it is to you. Our trusted lawyers can help you navigate through the complexities involved in your ODSP case. We promise that we will fight for your rights at every turn of the road until the very end.
Contact our 24/7 injury hotline at 1-800-567-HURT or visit our website to speak to someone now about your claim. Consultations are free, and we have offices located throughout Ontario.