Underinsured drivers (removed mean that they) do not have enough coverage to compensate you for your injuries. While most motorists in Ontario carry a one million dollar policy, some carry less and some carry more. Your injuries may require more (removed than) money than what is available in the at fault motorist’s policy. It is the job of the lawyer to exhaust all avenues of insurance to ensure you are as covered as possible for your loss. An experienced lawyer is able to review policy limits, review your policy and any other available third party policies to ensure your maximum recovery. If you have a question, call the experience lawyers at Diamond and Diamond™ for a free consultation.
Unidentified drivers are specific to hit and run accidents. If you are involved in a hit and run accident, your insurance will cover your loss. If you have no insurance, the motor vehicle accident fund will cover your loss. In any event, you are covered if you are the innocent party.
Uninsured drivers are those without insurance. Their failure to comply with the law does not affect your accident claim. In Ontario, your policy will cover you in the event of an accident involving an uninsured driver. If you are an innocent party to the action, for example, a passenger with no idea that the car you are riding in is uninsured, you are still covered. The team at Diamond & Diamond™ can guide you through this tricky area of the law and ensure that your injuries are covered.
STEPS TO TAKE IF YOU’VE BEEN IN AN ACCIDENT WITH AN UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED DRIVER:
- Stop and assess the situation
- Call 911
- If you are physically able to, get as much information from everyone at the accident scene especially any witnesses. Write down the tag numbers of the vehicles involved in the accident
- Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and any other vehicle involved in the accident
- Only speak to the police officer
- Review the police report and make sure all of the information is accurate
- Call Diamond & Diamond™ immediately at 1-800-567-HURT™(4878)